- Mineral Oil - may leave a residue and cause pore congestion
- Perfumes - Can irritate the follicles and contribute to acne conditions
- D&C Red dyes - Can irritate the follicles and contribute to acne conditions
- Isopropyl Myristate (synthetic oil and thickening agent) This is a known comedogenic ingredient
- Lanolin (derived from sheep skin) This is a known comedogenic ingredient
- Heavy plant oils can also contribute to skin breakout in some individuals.
- Alcohol - may over-strip the skin and cause rebound oil production. Use alcohol-free products.
- High SPF products will "coat" the skin and may contribute to pore clogging. Use these when in direct sun or sports. An SPF of 15 to 30 is adequate for daily skin protection.
Friendly ingredients are plant based, antioxidants, emollients, and hydrating ingredients. The list is very extensive, however, if you are prone to acne or pore congestion, try products which are water-based and do not contain the ingredients I've listed here. Some individuals can use a variety of products without a problem. These are only guidelines. You can experiment for a couple of weeks to see how your own skin tolerates a product. So, don't be fooled by fancy bottles, or colorful packaging. You're probably paying too much for a perfume-ridden cream that won't work for you. Let a professional direct you.
Our 'Uptown Face' line is botanical and non-comedogenic, with pleasant aromas, at very competitive price points. We offer skin care consultations to help direct you in selecting a customized program.